If interested in joining the Wicked Reads Review Team, please complete this application form. When we have an opening on the review team, we will review the applications that have been submitted.
If you are interested in reviewing for Wicked Reads or are one of our reviewers, here is a list of some of our guidelines.
Guidelines for Wicked Reads Reviewers
We have a few guidelines that will clear up any confusion.
- Review deadlines vary depending upon where the book is sent from. In some cases, you may only have a few days to read a book and submit your review. At times you may receive a review copy a month or two (or more before its due). Pay attention to your due dates. Missed due dates can result in your removal from the review team.
- The review must be without bias towards the specific genre or author. Don’t say, “I don’t like science fiction, so I hated this book.” Yes, people do that on a regular basis. I’ve had a few of them myself. If I send you a book that isn’t to your tastes, let me know. You will NOT review it. If negative, please make it constructive. No derogatory remarks or slams at the author.
- What is best in a review: entertainment value, staying within the genre (such as an erotic book that isn’t erotic. Or a YA book that reads adult) Cover and title comments. How well the book was written (grammar, spelling, proofreading, format) Yes, there are always a few mistakes, even in bestsellers. It can’t be helped, but if the quantity is to the point that it pulls you from the story, note it. No two people read a book alike, a review is opinion. Just be honest without being mean.
- BE HONEST! Wicked Reads is not buying positive reviews for the author. You owe the truth to fellow readers who will be PAYING for this book in the future. Also, the author needs true feedback from the review. It is subject to tastes, but sometimes a reviewer finds something the author missed.
- There is no set amount of words for the review. A few honest sentences are sometimes more valuable than a long, drawn out review- the truth gets hidden among the pretty words. Your review is your opinion, written in your writing style. No fears, we don’t need a professional writer, we just need honesty.
- In most cases, you do not need to wait until the review is done to post it. Instructions will be provided when a review must be held until a certain date. When you are finished, just send me the review. Please post to Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, or any other review site before sending me your review. Unless you’d like me to proofread it for you. I will do that, if you ask nicely. Then you MUST post the review to at least Amazon and Goodreads.
- Please send me a link to where you posted your review, along with a copy of your review.
- I will proofread and format to place on the Wicked Reads website, Facebook Page, Goodreads Group, Twitter. Your name will be attached to the review.
- There is no compensation for the review. The reviewer was given a free copy of the book in order to obtain an honest, unbiased review. It is one hand washing the other, so to speak.
- If you don’t like the book, totally not to your tastes, let me know. This happens. Reading is subjective. I don’t want you to feel like you’re working. It’s entertainment. It also isn’t the authors fault. Millions of books out there DO NOT appeal to my tastes. It’s only natural that this will happen from time to time. It’s best not to review these books because it is based on a miscommunication of genre preferences.
- Failure to produce a review by the date or posting the necessary links will result in being removed from Wicked Reads reviewer List. This isn’t done out of meanness. This is about mutual respect. If you are unable to review for a reason, please let me know, and you will be placed on hold until I’m otherwise notified. I will reactivate you when you tell me you are able to review again. We have a lot of reviewers and few books. I hope to grow the book list in time- everything takes time. In other words, if you don’t produce, someone else will.
- Enjoy yourself. Enjoy finding new authors that you wouldn’t have heard about otherwise. Tell your friends. Word of mouth is the most important currency for Indie & self-published authors.
- If you don’t know what to do, ask me. I don’t bite- much!
- This should go without saying, DO NOT share this ecopy. Wicked Reads is trusting you to be ethical. The copy you receive is for review only & sometimes an arc copy, meaning it isn’t final and not fit for publication yet. Ebook Piracy is a crime. Many of the authors we review are Indie and self-published authors who put thousands of hours into one story. You are taking food from their mouths when you share their work. It may not be intentional, but it does have far reaching affects. Someone you may ‘lend’ the book to will ‘lend’ it to someone else who may pirate books. Please be respectful and responsible with the trust Wicked Reads and the authors place with you.